Mom’s life is a huge responsibility
Our sons are a blessing from the Lord. We need to be praying powerful Bible verses over our teenage sons.
So God has entrusted us with these tiny humans to care for and raise us to be men of God.
Psalm 127:3 "Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him."
Mom’s life is not to be entered into lightly. We must be praying for our teenage sons! Fortunately, we have help.
We have God’s word to give us wisdom and guidance in how we raise these precious boys. They will become men one day, and we want them to be Godly.
Why we must pray for our son
We have an enemy. The Bible says the enemy is like a roaring lion.
1 Peter 5:8 says, " Be alert and sober mind. Your enemy, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."
His goal is to steal, kill and destroy anything good. (John10:10)
This includes our teenage sons. But the devil has a fight on his hands when he messes with a momma on her knees!
“The devil has a fight on his hands when he messes with a momma on her knees!”Tweet
God gave us these little boys for a reason. Therefore, it is even more essential to cover them in prayer when they are teenagers.
They have social media, movies, friends, and other influences trying to lead them away from God. There is so much conflicting information that it can be challenging for our teenage sons to stay focused on what is right.
What should I pray over my teenage son?
There are so many things we need to be praying for our teenage sons. Here is a list to get you started!
Of course, the most important thing we need to pray for is their salvation. Below you will find 21 more things to pray over your teenage son.
- Pray for his protection from harm (Isaiah 43:2)
- Pray that he will honor his parents and resist rebellion (Colossians 3:20)
- Pray for his relationships with family members (1 Peter 4:8)
- Pray for him to have Godly friends and role models (1 Corinthians 15:33)
- Pray for him to seek God’s truth and resist the lies of the enemy (Proverbs 3:3-4)
- Pray for him to not use foul language (Ephesians 4:29)
- Pray for him to seek holiness and purity (Colossians 3:12)
- Pray for him to have a sound mind (Philippians 4:8)
- Pray for him to be free from fear (2 Timothy 1:7)
- Pray for him to hunger and thirst for righteousness (Matthew 5:6)
- Pray for him to avoid addictions to alcohol and drugs (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)
- Pray for him to reject sexual impurity (1 Thessalonians 4:3)
- Pray for him to have a repentant heart (Psalm 51:2;10)
- Pray for him to grow in his faith (Romans 15:4)
- Pray for him to become the man God has created him to be (Psalm 27:23)
- Pray for him to have a Godly wife (Proverbs 31:10-12
- Pray for him to be free from unforgiveness (Colossians 3:12-13)
- Pray for him to have wisdom (Psalm 1:1-2)
- Pray for him to feel loved and accepted (John 3:16)
- Pray for him to speak words of life (Proverbs 21:23)
- Pray for his thoughts to be pleasing to God (Psalm 19:14)
Bible verses to pray over your son
- Isaiah 43:2 “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you.”
- Colossians 3:20 “Children, obey your parents in all things, for this is well pleasing to the Lord.”
- 1 Peter 4:8 “Above all, keep loving one another earnestly since love covers a multitude of sins.”
- 1 Corinthians 15:33 “Do not be deceived: Bad company ruins good morals.”
- Proverbs 3:3-4 “Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart. So you will find favor and good success in the sight of God and man.”
- Ephesians 4:29 “Let no corrupt talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.”
- Colossians 3:12 “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.”
- Philippians 4:8 “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.”
- 2 Timothy 1:7 “God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”
- Matthew 5:6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.”
- 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.”
- 1 Thessalonians 4:3 “This is the will of God, your sanctification: that you should abstain from sexual immorality.”
- Psalm 51:2 “Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin!” “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.”
- Romans 15:4 “For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the scriptures we might have hope.”
- Psalm 27:23 “The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delights in his way.”
- Proverbs 31:10-12 “An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good and not harm, all the days of her life.”
- Colossians 3:12-13 “Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.”
- Psalm 1:1-2 “Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers, but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law, he meditates day and night.”
- John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
- Proverbs 21:23 “Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble.”
- Psalm 19:14 “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.”
How do I pray Bible verses for my teenage son?
I had always heard people talking about praying scripture over themselves or someone they love. But, I never understood what that meant.
To pray scripture over someone means to take that Bible verse you are reading and make it your own. Then, turn it into a prayer.
Take 2 Timothy 1:7, for example. This verse says, “God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”
If I turn that into a prayer for my son, I would say, “God has not given you a spirit of fear, Brock. Instead, God has given you a spirit of power, love, and sound mind.” (Brock is my youngest, still living at home.)
If you have never tried this before, I want to strongly encourage you to use the verses in the Bible to pray for your teenage son today. Then, make those verses into prayers and offer them back to God.
If you have enjoyed this post, please share it on social media and with your friends. Thank you for helping to support this ministry by sharing this post and any others you find helpful.